Our Biotech client was experiencing degraded performance with their initial implementation OpenShift cluster on EC2. They needed real-time visibility into their OpenShift clusters and applications. Client engaged Shadow-Soft to review architecture, implement an integrated logging and alerting solution, and provide recommendations on how to improve performance with best practice configuration.
Solution and Architecture
- Perform review with client to discover requirements and gather baseline metrics to determine optimum configurations for: Cluster Sizing, Performance and Scalability characteristics, Logging and Metrics, Security, Backup and Recovery
- Provide recommendations around best practices and OpenShift add-ons
- Implement recommendations to optimize logging and alerting solution on AWS Elasticsearch Service, FluentD, Kibana Stack (EFK), VictorOps, Slack
- The fluentd collects the logs and forward them to Elasticsearch, enabling the client to see one consolidated view of all the logs from one location.
- Configure VictorOps integration with Slack to notify errors in Openshift Clusters. Used alertmanager on all the clusters to send the NodeNotReady alert to VictorOps
- Assist troubleshooting the OpenShift 4 cluster configuration
- Enablement and training on advanced troubleshooting of OpenShift cluster
- Best practice capacity management, autoscaling, and cluster optimization
- CI/CD for application deployment using application packaging and existing CI/CD tooling (Jenkins) and processes
- Terraform scripts to create backups for RDS databases (Cross-Region Read Replicas)
- Improved logging solution to quickly detect issues with OpenShift cluster
- Improved visibility with alerts and notifications directly to system admins
- Resolved insufficient storage issue in OpenShift environment
- Finely-tuned OpenShift clusters now enable customer to run and scale applications with confidence
- Awareness and ability to respond quickly to issues, allowing the customer to reduce time to resolution and increase uptime.
We help growing software companies modernize infrastructure and applications with Containers, Kubernetes, and the Cloud. Contact us to learn more about how we can help you modernize for scale, speed, and cost savings.